#GivingTuesday a Chance to Raise Funds or Be a Donor
#GivingTuesday began in 2012 and has grown into a global day of giving—a new tradition in the midst of the holiday season. Giving Tuesday is held the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, December 3 this year. While it began as a way to harness the power of the internet, campaigns today are not restricted to that platform or one day on the calendar.
As a donor, Giving Tuesday is an important day to make contributions to causes close to your heart. These campaigns may have matching gifts on this day, which make your contribution even more significant. Often, nonprofits are wrapping up the fiscal year or have extra stresses on resources around the holidays, and your gift at this time can be particularly meaningful. Look at the list of nonprofit Chamber members as you plan your gift.
As a nonprofit, Giving Tuesday is a great day to raise funds as well as raise awareness of your cause. Your campaign can be big or small, and getting started on your social media platforms is easy with tools available. Be sure you are ready to accept donations on these platforms or direct donors to your website to make their donations.
Visit the nonprofit supporting the movement at givingtuesday.org for information, connection and tools.
- Be listed on their Participating Organizations page by registering your 501(c)3
- Access the Complete Toolkit, which answers questions, gives campaign ideas, and provides guidance.
- Download the Social Media Toolkit and the Get Ready for #GivingTuesday Campaign Workbook to plan your strategy and messaging.
- Download free #GivingTuesday graphics, logos and social media images
- Learn about #MyGivingStory, a social media contest with big prizes for nonprofits
Visit Facebook to learn about their tools for #GivingTuesday.
Visit Instagram’s parent company Facebook Social Good to learn how to become eligible for a donation sticker.
- Sign up for Charitable Giving Tools at Instagram
Resources around the web offer creative ideas and practiced advice on how to run a successful campaign. If your organization is not ready to jump into #GivingTuesday this year, take a look at this year’s campaigns to inspire your work for next year.